Friday, February 10, 2012

Opening Remarks

This first post will be mostly random, jumbled thoughts that all encapsulate a part of who I am. So welcome to a Friday afternoon journey through my brain!

First off, I think you should know that I'm a piano teacher. I have 20 students in total, mostly beginners, and they are all awesome. I love my job because it doesn't really feel like a job, I'm using my college degree (shockers!), and I always have a funny story to tell. Always. Watch for a post soon with several of my favorite stories.

Secondly, I'm on a journey this year to lose weight. Most people would probably not classify me as overweight, but ideally, I have around 60 pounds to lose. So I decided the week of Christmas to join Weight Watchers and quit putting it off. I'm tired of feeling tired and clothes not fitting. To date, I have lost 11 pounds! I know it may not seem like much, especially if you're a fan of The Biggest Loser, but I feel great! I'm well on my way and now I'm addicted to a healthy lifestyle.

Thirdly, I love to cook, especially now since I am trying to eat healthier. One of my favorite resources is Cooking Light. I made a recipe last night that took only 20 minutes or less! So eating right can be easy and quick and Cooking Light is a huge help. Watch for a post later on recipes I've tried lately.

Fourthly, I sponsor a child through Compassion International. Safyatou is my second child to sponsor. She is 7 years old and lives in Burkina Faso. My first child, Priscilla from Ghana, moved out of the reach of Compassion's centers earlier this year. My husband and I got involved with Compassion in the fall of 2010. I'd always heard about Compassion and the child sponsorship program, but was never really in a place where I could participate financially. However, in Fall 2010, we felt like God had blessed us richly and we needed to bless others. Sponsoring Priscilla and Safyatou through Compassion has been one of the biggest blessings of my life. The relational, personal aspect of the program is what I love the most. Handwritten letters always bring a huge smile to my face and the opportunity to be able to encourage and love on these kids is like no other ministry I've personally experienced. Not only are we showing them we care through our words, but we're backing that up with caring for their physical needs. I think it's the model of ministry that Christ set for us in the Gospels. If you've never been involved with Compassion, I urge you to start now. I wasn't sure at the beginning if we could manage the monthly financial commitment, but God keeps on providing, so we keep on giving. He will provide for you too. The impact you can make on a child's life is huge and you never know if you will be the one to change their lives forever. If you haven't watched this video before, get your tissues, watch, and then go sponsor a child. You won't regret it. 

Finally, for those who don't know me, to fill in the most important gaps about me, I'm married to my best friend and the most precious man in the entire universe, David, I am a redeemed follower of the King, Jesus Christ, I have a wonderful family, and I love my 6 month old kitten, Callie. This blog will be filled with stories and thoughts about all these things, and I hope you enjoy reading, because I certainly enjoy writing! Check out my links below, especially my other blog that I write with my husband, The Marriage Files.

Thanks for reading, and until next time, TGIF!!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go with weight Watcher and for knocking off those 11 pounds! I love the recipes Weight Watchers has! I'm really glad my parents (the cooks of the McKissick household) started the program a couple years ago. And, girl, I'm right there with you with trying to be healthy and more in shape. Phew, it's hard work!

    And hey! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete